Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Isaac Albeniz: Suite espanola, no. 1 and no. 2

Richard Gibson.
MH352WI Granade
Isaac Albeniz: Suite espanola, no. 1 and no. 2
Suite espanola is a magnificent piece, close to what I would call a masterpiece. I am not sure why it is not in the Canon, but hopefully my translation of it will urge you to listen and dream. Suite espanola, nos. 1 and 2 has a total of ten movements. No. 1 includes the Granada (Serenata) 5:15, Sevilla (Sevillanas) 4:37, Cadiz (Saeta) 4:52, Asturias (Leyenda) 7:06, Aragon (Fantasia) 5:06, Castilla (Seguidilla) 3:14 and the Cuba (Capricho) 5:22. No. 2 only has the Zaragoza 3:58 and the Sevilla 6:45. All for a total running time of 46:25. It is piano music composed by Isaac Albeniz (1860-1909) during the Romantic Period that will leave you breathless.
Upon first listening to this piece I was instantly transported to a small vineyard somewhere in Spain. I feel like I am waking up to the warm sun shining on my face. The birds are singing and chirping, (which Albeniz brings out with the repeated scales in the right hand) the coffee is brewing, and I am ready to face whatever comes my way. I feel truly refreshed as I get dressed and walk out onto a balcony that has a breath-taking view. I can already see the workers busy picking grapes as the sun rises higher into the morning sky steadily shedding more light upon the valley below me. My body, mind and spirit are fully at rest as I sip my cup of coffee and take in the beauty around me.
Just as I think the day could not improve I begin to see some storm clouds just peeking over the distant hills. The workers see them as well and begin to hurry along with their work before the storm arrives: the farm manager yells out orders to the same. There is almost a sense of panic about the place, but something in me senses an underlying calmness and wisdom that just seems to be in everything in the vineyard. As I turn and walk out of my room, continue down the hallway at a quickened pace and find an old man sitting in a chair just outside of the door. This man started the vineyard from a single vine and built it up with his own two hands into one of the most beautiful vineyards in Spain.
He takes me along a path that leads down into the vineyard and begins to explain how the rain clouds have come in like that for eons and that no one is really worried about the rain at all. Papi (as everyone there calls him) then shows me how I can easily be caught up by the hustle and bustle going on around me if I do not pay attention to the details. He shows me that, although working hard, the workers all have smiles on their faces. They know that the rain will bring nothing but good fortune for them. Papi continues to lead me down the path and opens my eyes up to all of the other work and joy occurring in his humble little vineyard. All the way from the gathering of the grapes to the bottling, I feel joy and excitement enter my heart now that the rain clouds do not seem to matter anymore.
At this time everyone is ready for some lunch, and I am amazed to see the respect and reverence all of the workers give Papi. Everyone sits down, after washing up, and proceeds to have a delightful lunch full of the joy and laughter I witnessed while I was on my walk. There is a peaceful, yet festive, atmosphere while they eat. Not everyone talks at once, so the noise does not becomes distracting. They just sit and listen to each other, laugh at all the jokes and tell funny stories when they feel the urge. I find myself not talking at all, just sitting and listening to all of the love around me, wondering to myself why I had not taken a vacation like this before now.
Lunch is now over and it is time to go back to work. The workers busily get on their rain gear as it just begins to rain. All of a sudden there is lightning and thunder (brought out by the pounded chords) that last for only a couple of minutes. After its fury seems to have passed, light drizzle falls steadily down upon the grapevines. I can sense that the workers are ready to finish up for the day at this point. They rush along to finish up their work and I can swear they are dancing. The looks on their faces are more serious than before, but it is almost like they welcome the challenge of working in the rain. Just then the lightning and thunder return to taunt the workers but they do not lose a single step. They just keep on dancing along enjoying the work the new day has brought to them.
The rain clears and I find myself watching the women pressing the grapes. They are indeed dancing. They even have their own music playing for them in the form of a mariachi band. (Notated by the syncopated rhythms) First is a quick Spanish step that gets the blood flowing to the hips and legs. Then the ladies slow the pace down to a seductive and sultry dance that invites me to join them. Just as soon as the temptation overcomes me and I begin to take off my shoes the mariachi band picks up the pace again and all I can do is sit and watch these beautiful Spanish women dance in circles. They are truly enjoying themselves while they get a good days work done and I just want to join.
After dinner I go out to the barn where a dance is taking place. It is refreshing to see so much fun being had in one place. All of the different traditional dances, warm people and spectacular wine lull me into never wanting to leave. I sit for a time taking everything in until a young beautiful Spanish lady takes me by the hand. I do my best at following her lead out on the dance floor. For a short time it actually goes well, but then the band picks up the tempo and I have no choice but to fall a few steps behind. The dance ends with an outburst of laughter and applause followed by hugs all around. After we hug, she grabs me by the hand again and leads me outside into the vineyard.
We rush out, trying not to be seen, into the clear, star-filled, night sky. The moon is shining perfectly tonight and it shows her beauty like only the moonlight can. I have to stop and look at her because her beauty at that moment has absolutely taken my breath away (shown by the dramatic use of the rest). We then continue on to talk about all of our dreams and hopes, ultimately coming to the fear of me leaving. We embrace each other listening to the quickened pace of our hearts next to each other and we fear to let go.
As I stand there with her I cannot help but feel at home in this vineyard and in her arms. Our hearts slow and we know that this must go on. I make the decision to stay and make this my new home. Not in a loud way, but inside of my heart, because I have truly found my home when I least expected it. The magic in her eyes, the beauty of the vineyard and my instant love for both brought me to this point. I know that it will not be without hardship (represented by the suspensions used), but I am willing to do whatever it takes to make her happy. The sun begins to rise again and my mind is made up. I hear the birds chirping again and the same refreshed feeling comes over me. I am home.
I fully enjoyed piece that Mr. Albeniz composed. I think that it stays within the parameters of the Romantic Period style of more emotional music, in addition to bringing in a strong sense on Nationalism. I firmly believe that it should be in the Cannon, but I know that I am going to make this a part of my personal collection. I highly suggest this piece to anyone that wants to listen to some wonderful piano music.

No comments: